2/03/2008

Communion with Apple Juice and Bread

Today I had the privilege of being the minister at a small family memorial service for Violet Long, or Granny, as I was introduced to her.

Violet lived 92 beautiful years. She spent the first 17 years of her life in an orphanage. She was full of love and I enjoyed hearing all the stories from her family.

I first met Violet just over two weeks ago. Her family invited me over to see her and have communion...except I didn't know I would be having communion with them. Since I didn't show up prepared to lead in communion, we ended up taking the Lord's Supper using apple juice in dixie cups and a slice of bread cut into squares.

This communion experience reminded me that what matters most is the heart and not hte emblems. I don't want to get focused on making sure I do everything so right that I forget people in the process.

That is one lesson I learned from my time with Granny.

No comments: