1/21/2007

Basketball and God

For the last several Sunday nights I have had the opportunity to play basketball with a great group of guys at the church. After we play there is another group that comes in to play. I didn't realize they were playing or that God was going to challenge me and open up a new avenue of ministry.

In that second group are about 30 guys. I only know 5 or 6 of them. Unfortunately, I would not normally spend time with these guys. We don't run "in the same circles."

As the sports director of the church, I started sticking around after my games to monitor this group. My mindset was that I would be there when something bad happened...a fight...a verbal outburst of colorful language...whatever the case my be.

Tonight it clicked!

I had tried to be friendly...while patting myself on the back for what a great guy I am for reaching out to them.

Last week one of the guys asked me why I just watched them and never played in their games. I didn't have much of an answer for him. That question challenged me all week. Then I started preparing for my next small group lesson from James 2 and realized that I was exhibiting a prejudiced heart. James 2:1 (NLT)says,

"My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?"

Well...tonight I played! And I must say, I did pretty good! It was amazing the way I viewed people differently and the way they viewed me.

Using basketball to build a bridge to others is something God has done in my life since I was in elementary school, yet it seems to surprise me everytime I experience it.

My goal is for these relationships to be ongoing and genuine. That they will result in people coming into a real relationship with Christ.

1 comment:

Arron Chambers said...

Thanks for this important reminder that loving people from a distance is not an option for Christians, but that--when it comes to loving--God expects us to get into the game.
Arron