1/20/2007

Begin with the end in mind

And so it begins. My life as a blogger.

One of my favorite books is Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. One of his principles is to begin with the end in mind.

It is with that principle that I like to view 1 Thessalonians 1. This is the chapter from which I derive my "philosophy of life."

The end of the chapter is my goal in life. Verses 7-8 say:

And so you (the church in Thessalonica) became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. The Lord's message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia—your faith in God has become known everywhere.

That is the end I want in life...it is my goal. To live a life that others could model and find faith in God. To set an example to all of the believers of what is means to live out faith. I do this not for the sake of self or pride, but for the sake of knowing I am fulfilling the Great Commission.

How is that done? For that I turn to the beginning of this short chapter. Verse 3 says:

We (Paul, Silas, & Timothy) continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Do you see the three keys listed there?

  • Work produced by faith
  • Labor prompted by love
  • Endurance inspired by hope

Many books today will show you ways to work harder, labor more, and endure everything that comes your way. I have realized that is a misguided philosophy. According to this scripture, the focus should be faith...which will produce work, love...which will prompt labor, and hope...which will inspire endurance.

So there it is. The goal is clear. "So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step."

No comments: