4/02/2007

More Than Just A Game, Part 1


Sports - The Ultimate Common Ground
1 Corinthians 9:19-23

We have a saying at Christ's Church that our sports ministry is "more than just a game." This is the first of several articles that will explore what this really means.

Take a look at this picture. I love this picture. It shows some of the diversity God created. We had just finished playing a game of soccer. It was the Christ's Church group of men vs. the local school kids. We barely won!


It was taken at a school in a village about one hour south of Tegucigalpa, Honduras. While on our mission trip their last September, we had several opportunities to play soccer with the locals. I couldn't speak their language and they couldn't speak mine, but we spoke the common language of 'soccer.' (The kids actually spoke the language of 'soccer' much better than I did!)

When I lived in Nashville, TN I worked for an inner-city YMCA. I was able to go into any community without fear because I had built a relationship with these guys based on basketball. The first game I played on their court I was respectful, but played all out. I actually had a pretty nice dunk! From that moment on, no matter what the reason I was in their community, I was respected. They knew I was there to have fun and just play some ball. Basketball had become our common ground. There wasn't much else that we had in common.

Today it is Tim. He plays on my church basketball team. If it wasn't for this team, I would have never had the chance to meet Tim. He is a great basketball player and now my dunks have turned to lay ups! By starting with this common ground, we have built a friendship that I hope will last a long time.

In 1 Corinthians 9, Paul talks about this concept.

• I have become a servant to everyone so that I can bring them to Christ. (vs 19)
• When I am with the Jews, I become one of them so I can bring them to Christ. (vs 20)
• When I am with those who follow Jewish laws, I do the same, even though I am not subject to them, so I can bring them to Christ. (vs 20)
• When I am with the Gentiles, I fit in with them as much as I can while never disobeying the law of God. In this way I gain their confidence and bring them to Christ. (vs 21)
• When I am with the oppressed, I share their oppression so that I might bring them to Christ. (vs 22)

Here is the key verse. The second part of 1 Corinthians 9:22 says "Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ."

That is one of the reasons we can say Christ's Church sports is "more than just a game!" It is a common ground we can use to bring people to Christ.

Why do you play sports? More than likely, if you are reading this you are not getting paid to play sports. You do it for fun. If you are a Christian, take a look around. Who has God placed in your league or on your team that he intended for the sport to be a common ground that you can build a relationship from?

1 comment:

Barton said...

That is one of the reasons I love golf. Spending four hours on a golf course with someone is a great way to build relationship. I can play with a perfect stranger and in just one round of golf have the first building block for a friendship. Most of my closest friendships have begun with this common ground.

Since I no longer ever play any competitive rounds of golf,God has shaped my attitude towards golf as exactly what you are writing about, more than just a game. I believe that God has wired our likes and dislikes just so that we can use those to build relationships with like-minded people.