5/15/2007

Reality Check

I have been studying the fruit of the Spirit lately, as mention in Galatians 5:22-23. In doing so, I have really been challenged to examine my life and the "fruit" I put forth. It has been a real growth experience.

For a couple of weeks I have read and re-read these two verses. Then, as if for the first time, I continued to read the rest of the chapters...all remaining 3 verses of it!

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives. Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another."

These are the verses I needed to hear. I have been very concerned lately by the notion of Christians feeling it OK to compete in unChrist-like ways. I have been challenged, both by the way I live my life and what I see in others who proclaim Christ as their Saviour, that we have become lazy in our "following the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives."

It is so easy to compartmentalize our life into our Christian times and our personal time or our sports and recreation time or our work time or our.......you complete the sentence. We feel that it is OK to act a certain way because of the people we are around or because of the expectations of the event we are at.

Christ was Christ wherever he went. We are to be Christ wherever we go.

Christ was Christ no matter who was around. We are to be Christ no matter who is around.

After all, as Christians we are to grow to be like Christ. It is not always easy, but has a great reward!

No comments: