4/20/2008

In Touch With My "Artsy" Side

Every month or two, my small group comes up with a service project to work on. We started this after our Faith In Action series last fall which challenged us to "be the church" instead of just going to church.

Last Thursday we took our regular study time (we have been going through the book of Hebrews) and made cards for troops in Iraq. I have to say...I'm not the artsy type, but I had fun. Thanks to April and her bucket of cool scrapbooking "tools" I was able to create a card all by myself! Billy took a picture with his cellphone so I could have proof to show Carrie, who was home sick.

Serving has become an important part of our group's identity. I guess that comes as we...individually and corporately...grow to be more like Christ. How can one seek to have a heart like Jesus and not find ways to serve others?

I have to admit, however, that I sometimes struggle with the idea of Christians doing "service projects." We have to purposely remind ourselves that this scheduled act of sevice that fits perfectly into our life and usually doesn't cost us much money or effort does not replace a life of service. These projects often leave me with a sense that I have done something good...I have checked that box off and it lasts for a while.

With every mission trip I have been a part of...either going on the trip or having a group come to work with me...I have made a point to remind the participants that what you do on a mission trip is not as important as how it changes your life when you get back. I believe it is the same with service projects. They should change our perspective on how we live the rest of our life.

What do you think? Am I thinking too much on this? That is totally possible!

No comments: