2/05/2007

A Class Act

I have to say, I'm not much of a Colts fan. I guess it comes from the years of them whipping up on the Jacksonville Jaguars. But last night (the Super Bowl) I was impressed.

Yeah, Peyton Manning did good, but that wasn't why.

The defense (which the Jags exploited for almost 300 yards rushing) looked incredible, but that isn't why I'm impressed either.

And it's not even because of their coach. I am a Dungy fan, don't get me wrong. He is an incredible man who is a great witness to what a Christian can be in professional sports.

What impressed me more than all of this was the way they acknowledged the importance of the whole team.

Close to the end of the game, Phil Simms was talking about the Colts organization and how great it was for them to experience this win. In his monologue he shared that they brought everyone in the organization to the game along with their spouse. He went on to say that list included the grounds crew and the janitors. That is what impressed me.

It is so easy for us to lavish praise upon the "face" of the organization. Someone has to prepare the fields they play and practice on. Someone has to keep the locker room fresh and clean so the team is comfortable in it. Someone has to run the sound system for the noise they pipe in the Dome during the games. (OK...I can't prove it, but...)

I was impressed by this act of appreciation by the Colts. It was certainly a class act.

No comments: