2/07/2007

Restricor Plate Living

Hi. My name is David Lawson and I am a NASCAR fan. Not only that, but I am a Jeff Gordon fan. And, yes, I think NASCAR drivers are athletes and it is a sport.

There...I said it.

I don't know why I feel like I have to say that as a confession.

I'm not sure if it's the power, the sounds, the speed, the crowds, the mullets...or maybe all of it combined, but I have really come to enjoy racing over the last five years. Especially the fast tracks like Daytona. What really blows my mind is that these cars are not going as fast as they can go at Daytona.

The cars will race by at 200 mph, but are capable of going faster. Daytona is a restrictor plate race. The restrictor plate is a thin aluminum plate that fits between the carburetor and the intake manifold. This plate limits the amount of air that can enter the engine and less air equals less horsepower and slower cars. The cars could actually get closer to 220 mph if it weren't for the restrictor plate.

Some of the drivers want that ability. They want to be able to go all out.

At times in my life, I have been restrictor plate living. Most of us have been there. We let things like fear, lack of faith, laziness, complacency, other people, our past, or whatever else become our restrictor plate that keeps us from doing all that we can. God, on the other hand, wants us to go all out and then we can see what HE can really do.

"By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope." Ephesians 3:20 (NLT)

Determine to get rid of your restrictor plate and let's go all out. Oh, and "Go Jeff Gordon!"

No comments: