2/14/2007

November 11, 1998

Important Dates:

  • November 11, 1998 - We talked on the phone for the first time. It was all business...but we talked like we had been friends for years.
  • November 13, 1998 - We met in person. It was an after school program she was running through an inner-city church in North Jacksonville. She was frantic and running late because her volunteers didn't show up. I decided to start playing basketball with a group of guys that had gathered.
  • November 30, 1998 - First date. We went to St. Augustine to see the Christmas lights...but they weren't turned on! It was a fun night of being harassed by teenage guys, chased by a rat, and watching a movie-like scene as someone had been shot at a hotel we were walking by. In spite of all that, we were falling in love.
  • April 29, 1999 - I met with her parents to share my desire to marry their daughter. Her dad did something amazing. As I started to talk, he stopped me and said they knew why I was there. Then he said he wanted the time and conversation to be right so he led us in prayer. That was just another sign that I knew God was in this and I was getting an incredible lady as a wife.
  • April 30, 1999 - I popped the question. My plan was to go back to St. Augustine but is was pouring down the rain. Instead we went out to eat (Olive Garden) then back to her apartment where I asked her to marry me. She said yes! We then went to her parents and grandmothers.
  • October 23, 1999 - We were married at San Jose Baptist Church. I am also proud to say that our honeymoon night was the first time either of us had "been with" someone.
  • February 13, 2007 - OK...I know this is a big gap of time, but something happened that sums up that gap. I was in line (at the last minute) to pay for a Valentine's Day card and the men in front of me kept making jokes about and putting down their wife's. "I can't get her this card...it says she makes me happy...she just makes me stressed." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. In that moment, however, I realized how blessed and happy I truly am to be married to Carrie.

The gap of time from our wedding day til now has been full of adventure, love, mistakes, forgiveness, more love, and, most importantly, God. I see him all the time in Carrie. I don't tell her enough, especially publicly, how much I love her and am proud to be her husband.

I love you, Carrie, and look forward to many more years of celebrating love and life with you!

1 comment:

Arron Chambers said...

What a great testimony of love! You are an amazing couple. Blessings.