8/22/2007

Self-Evaluation

Have you heard the saying "you are your worst critic?"

Taking an honest look at how we perform certain tasks or the quality we are able to produce is important in our growth process...not easy...but important.

I started this blog with the verse in mind,

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step."
1 Corinthians 9:26


What is the purpose of doing such an evaluation?

  • to grow in your profession
  • to grow spiritually
  • to grasp where you honestly are in relation to your goals
  • honest analysis

If you walk away from a self-evaluation feeling beat up, you have missed the purpose. Yes, we need to be 'brutally honest' with where we are, but that is for the purpose of charting the next step in your growth process. Too many people get stuck in the 'brutally honest' stage and live there without taking the next step of change.

Remember...to continue to do the same thing over and over and expect different results is the definition of insanity!

Why this post? I video taped our service at Camden County the last Sunday. The church is a great place to be right now. There is excitement and growth, but I wanted to get an honest look at how our services run. I also wanted to hear my sermon.

I have to admit parts of it were rough to see (especially a few spots in my sermon...I didn't know I used my hands so much!) I printed out a few snapshots from the video and showed it to the leadership team. This is a group of leaders that want to grow. They saw the pictures and said what can we do to make this a more comfortable place to worship God. We took it as an opportunity to learn, grow, and take action. It has turned into a great experience!

No comments: