7/12/2007

Milestones

This week I hit a couple milestones in golf...well, I didn't really 'hit' them. I just acheived something. I will admit these may not seem like much, but to me they represent growth.

On Thursday I beat our senior pastor, Dennis, on one hole. I made par and he made a bogey. Don't get me wrong...he beat me in the round, but I did something I have never done.

This is one of those small moments in life (especially my golfing life) that I needed to celebrate. Don't get me wrong...I didn't come close to beating him in the round. Actually no one on staff has ever beat him in a round of golf.

Well, today (Saturday) I beat my friend Bob Pan (you've been blogged!) on one hole. Again, he did much better than me on the round, but I beat him on that one par 5.

Why are these milestones big to me? They show that I have the potential to play golf at the level of people like Dennis and Bob. They show that I have improved in golf over the last couple of years. And they show that I still have a long way to go.

I believe it is important to find people who are better than I am in areas and spend as much time with them as possible in that area. Having the opportunity to 'measure up' against individuals like that is even more valuable to me. Those are the 'milestones' like I experienced in golf this week.

Milestones are only as good as what you do with them. They may be big things or small. The key is to use them as a measuring tool that motivates you to further action.

Check out this story about a waitress in Indiana who recieved a $10,000 tip to go to college on. Talking about a huge milestone!!

No comments: