7/11/2007

My Prayer Life Challenged

I read this passage today in Colossians.


Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. Don't forget to pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to preach about his secret plan - that Christ is also for you Gentiles. That is why I am here in chains. Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should. Colossians 4:2-4 (New Living Translation)

When I first read this I started asking myself if I prayed with an alert mind and thankful heart. I quickly decided that I did, for the most part, and started moving on to the next verses...and then it hit me! I am very greedy when I pray!

Did you catch what Paul said here. "...I am here in chains." He was literally chained up! Paul wrote this from jail in Rome, yet his request was not to pray for his quick release. Instead he asks the church in Colosse to pray that God "will give us many opportunities to preach...".

If I was in jail writing a letter to a church, I would probably make it about me and what all I have gone through and blah, blah, blah. But Paul said to pray for him that he has a chance to minister to others. Actually, in the next 2 verses he says,

Live wisely among those who are not Christians, and make the most of every opportunity. Let you conversation be gracious and effective so that you will have the right answer for everyone.
This whole passage has really challenged my self-centered nature when I pray. I have always struggled with the "God, expand my territories" prayers, but in other ways I put the emphasis on me and not on praying "Father, not my will, but yours be done."

No comments: